When do organizations and companies become big corporations? I think there are a few tell tale signs –
- You stop feeling treated as a customer and begin to feel yourself treated as a number. For example, you need to pass the annoying robot voice or 4 numbers test before you speak to a person. That’s when you know they have “scaled.”
2. Customer services loses the power to say or do something that isn’t in the manual.
3. You get a 30 page legal document for your terms and conditions.
4. You get corporate speak instead of a real apology.
5. You don’t feel you can trust them to help you or care. This tends to be the surest sign.
Of course, the big corporation is just something we feel. Nothing may have really changed in the company’s exterior messaging.
But, as customers, we know when it happens.