My name is Rohan. I have been writing daily notes on this blog since May 12 2008 – doing so has changed my life in more ways than I can imagine.
My personal mission/“why”/“purpose”/what I care about: Build community active relationships with people I care about, learn, and contribute positively to the world.
Thus, my simplified 3 word version articulation of what I value is – people, learning, contribution.
My culture or the norms with which I make decisions flows from what I value. I aspire to show up every day by being thoughtful about how my actions impact the people around me, learning focused, and hungry to contribute. Again, in 3 words that would be – thoughtful, learning focused, hungry.
I approach my days by aiming to do my best in my 4 roles – I think of this as my strategy or my “how.” :-) These roles are sorted in priority order:
1. Leader of self
2. A caring member of my framily
3. A learning focused teammate
4. A responsible contributor to my community, i.e., the world
3 principles that I attempt to live my life by are:
1. Integrity: Integrity is making and keep commitments. This means walking what I talk and talking what I walk.
2. Love/Growth: Love is the will to extend oneself for one’s own or another’s spiritual/mental growth. This means committing to to doing small things with extraordinary love and investing in continuous growth.
3. Half-scientist, half student: I aspire to live my life as a mix of scientist and student. This means engaging with life to consciously take the time to define problems, build hypotheses, experiment, and then learn. Life, after all, is simply a series of experiments and learning opportunities.
I currently work as a Product Manager at LinkedIn. Prior to this, I graduated with an MBA from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, worked as a consultant helping clients implement strategy across 14 countries at A-Connect – a boutique consulting firm, and earned an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering from the National University of Singapore.
My wife and I became parents in Nov 2016. And, our parenting philosophy is an attempt at living Khalil Gibran’s masterpiece – “On Children.”